When it comes to Sunday Roasts, we often think roasted beef. However, if you are tired of the traditional roasted meat and want to try something new, you can substitute beef for a full slab of lamb.
Lamb meat may be more expensive than beef, chicken or pork, but you will surely understand why after tasting it. Compared to other meats, lamb has higher protein, iron and vitamin and mineral content. Therefore, this meat is also ideal for those who are looking for a healthier alternative to pork or beef.
The Perfect Roasted Lamb
This recipe lets you cook the perfect roasted lamb, even if you are a beginner. Just prepare the following ingredients:
5 pounds of lamb leg
1 bulb of garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch of rosemary
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 onion, quartered
1 glass of red wine
1.2 litres of lamb or beef stock
Follow these instructions for a perfectly roasted lamb:
1. The first step is to stud the leg of the lamb. To stud, make small incisions on the lamb leg using a sharp knife. Insert the sliced garlic into the incisions. Add the rosemary into the incisions as well. Cover the lamb using a cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Remove the lamb after an hour. Preheat the oven to 190°C. In a large frying pan, add a small amount of oil to brown the lamb leg on all sides. Set aside.
3. In a large roasting pan, scatter all the onions, carrots and garlic. Pour the wine and the stock into the roasting pan. Add the browned lamb as well.
4. Roast the lamb and vegetables for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Make sure to turn the lamb halfway during the baking time to ensure that it is cooked.
5. Once cooked, allow the lamb to rest for 30 minutes. Be sure to cover the lamb in tin foil while it is resting.
You can start making the gravy while the lamb is resting.
Making the Lamb Sauce
A mint sauce is the best choice when eating roasted lamb. The ingredients for this include:
¾ cups of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
½ cup of white wine vinegar
¼ cup of boiling water
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and create your homemade mint sauce.
1. In a small pot, mix the caster sugar and mint together.
2. Add in the boiling water. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture.
3. Make sure to stir until all the sugar dissolves.
4. Add the vinegar and mix thoroughly.
5. To allow the flavour to develop, let the sauce stand for about 15 minutes.
Once all ingredients and flavours are settled in, serve the sauce in a serving jug.
To complete your lamb roast dish, you can also prepare roasted vegetables such as potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and sweet potatoes.