Stuffing is always a great accompaniment for a roast, but with so many versions and types around it can be hard to decide and master when cooking. Here we’ve made it simple – an easy sausage, sage and onion stuffing!
knob of butter, plus extra for greasing
1 onion (or ½ large onion), finely chopped
375g-400g/13-14oz sausage meat
3 large sage leaves, finely chopped
80g/2¾oz fresh breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions. Fry gently for around 10 minutes or until softened.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper, combining well.
3. If you are making stuffing balls, lightly grease a baking tray and, using wet hands, shape the stuffing and place on the prepared tray. Otherwise just add to a square tin
4. Cover with cling film and transfer to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
5. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
6. Roast the stuffing for 30-40 minutes until cooked through.
If needed, the recipe can easily be made vegetarian by removing the sausage meat, and switching it for 1 egg, and doubling amount the breadcrumbs, butter and sage. The recipe will then only take 25 minutes in the oven.